Wednesday 4 November 2015

Missing.

All the sun has gone and there is a low dreich in its place.

This morning, I went to get some more flowers for my stepfather. For some reason, I am convinced that he must have flowers. Then I went to the chemist. The lady in the chemist looked at my pretty bunch and said: ‘Oh, those are bonny.’

I told her my mother had died. I said I was taking my stepfather flowers and soup. She said her own mother had died this spring. We looked at each other, understanding absolutely what it was all about without having to elaborate. We stood in the brightly lit shop, a kind harmony running between us, talking about death. We usually talk about the weather, because we are British, and sometimes she smiles and asks after my mare. Today, we spoke about death.

She told me that her sister had died three years ago, and her mother-in-law the year before that, and then her uncle and her aunt.

‘It’s like someone is having a big clear-out,’ she said, dry as a bone.

I laughed. I looked at her. I pushed my fist against my chest, to illustrate my words. I said: ‘That is so many blows to the heart. Too many blows. What do you do with all that? And you are always so cheerful. You have a smile for everyone.’

She is one of the kindest and gentlest people in the village. I sometimes go to the chemist even when I don’t need anything much, because I like talking to her so much.

She gave me one of those smiles. ‘What can you do?’ she said. ‘You have to keep going on.’

I felt immensely soothed by this conversation, and rather tearful at the same time. Ah, the stages of grief. I’ve gone from shock, through an angry stoicism, past my usual competitive spurt when I think I can do grieving better than anyone ever did the damn thing before, into the momentary sunlight of hunting for beauty to balance the sorrow, to the plain missing stage. I just miss my mother. I actually had to tell myself this morning: ‘It’s all right to miss your mother.’ I don’t want to be a wimp and a bore, I want to come out of the darkness into the light, so I have to give myself official permission. The missing pulls at me like a slow ache, and part of me wants to fight it. But it cannot be fought. It must be felt.

I wish I had had one more conversation, asked one more question, heard one more story. I find her empty room so very, very empty.

I miss my mum.

 

Today’s pictures:

Are from yesterday, when the sun was shining:

4 Nov 1 5170x2965

4 Nov 2 5184x3456

4 Nov 3 5184x3456

4 Nov 4 5184x2965

4 Nov 6 5184x3456

4 Nov 9 5184x3456

4 Nov 9 5184x3456-001

4 Nov 10 4084x3442

6 comments:

  1. Of course you miss your mother - I miss my dad. But I think there must be something greater in the loss of Mom. I feel for you - you give so much to your readers with your wonderful words and explanations and photographs. I wish we could give something back now - maybe it's only support and a hint that some of us understand the loss of a parent. You will find your peace, in time. Meanwhile, you know that you carry her in your heart every minute of every day. She resides in you - is always with you. Your soul can see her, even if your eyes cannot. I keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It absolutely *is* all right to miss her. I know, like me, you fear being a trudging monolithic bore, but you are entitled to your grief and you will never be dull. I feel that someone needs to say that to you. You will come into the light, but gradually, in shimmering, incongruous moments, not all at once. You are entitled to the missing, too. And your wonderful, insightful writing will shed dignified light on these most difficult of days. Those readers who have lost a parent will sigh in empathy and those of us who wincingly await it still will telephone and appreciate them all the more.

    So many thoughts are with you. Write it out xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the missing... it's a bugger... And there's nothing to be done with it except let it roll over you until it passes, or rather, changes. And it does, as you know well, but still, it's hard. Sending good thoughts, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tania, those empty rooms…
    I am sending a virtual hug which is not meant to sound soulless and is sent with love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending you hugs from Long Island.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin