Wednesday 15 July 2015

Pictures.

Crazy working day and there was no time for the blog. Hopeless. Here are some photographs from the last few days to make up for it.

I’ve been thinking a lot today about the smallest of small things – the hills, the moss, the green, green grass of Scotland, the mare, the dog, hunting for beauty and tiny pleasures in each day. I suddenly realise, as I post these pictures, that the small things are all there. The red mare and these Scottish hills are vast to me, but in the scheme of the world they would not even make the back pages. As I get older, the things I love and value are further and further away from the classic headline desires. I’d love my next book to be a best-seller, but only so I can keep the horse in hay. I’d like to make some money, so I can build many beautiful paddocks out of lovely post and rails and fill them with ex-racehorses. I don’t want to be fashionable or famous or feted. I want my fingers to work so I can go on playing with prose, and my body to work so I can still be riding thoroughbreds when I’m seventy, and my eyes to function so I can read and look at the racing and gaze at this beloved landscape. I’d like my reflexes to stay sharp, so I can drive south and see the old friends. I’m starting to think I’d quite like a goat. That’s about the sum total of my ambition.

Love and trees, my darlings. Love and trees.

And sheep, of course. The ewes this year are so elegant I can’t stop staring at them.

15 July 1 4960x3288

15 July 2 5184x3456

15 July 3 5170x2860

15 July 5 3124x2447

15 July 6 5184x3456

15 July 7 3456x5184

15 July 8 5184x3456

15 July 9 5156x2895

15 July 9 5184x3456

15 July 11 5184x3456

15 July 14 5184x2825

15 July 18 4126x2096

15 July 21 5184x3456

3 comments:

  1. Yes, you are absolutely, exactly correct. The blessings of age are that we realize, finally, what is really important. The animals, always the animals. God Bless You, Tania...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one can't wait to read your new books(s). You are still my daily dose of beautiful words and pictures read from the dusty confines of Lincoln's Inn - I was made a QC this year and still love to read your beautiful words - long may they keep you in Hay! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tania I am an absolute horror - I have been enjoying your blog for an age and rarely comment - forgive me for sounding like a ponce but you 'give' so much.

    I think A A Milne is massively underrated so thought of you :

    “So perhaps the best thing to do is to stop writing Introductions and get on with the book.”
    ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

    Wonderful interview with Melanie Reid earlier today on R4 should you wish an inspiring half an hour on catch up....

    Thank you thank you thank you for such wonderful, gentle writing and of course the beautiful horses.....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin