Sunday 18 November 2012

Sunday pictures

Everything is very lovely in this house and it makes me keenly aware of my luck. Old friends come for lunch and the small relations run about being funny and antic and there is even perfect weather, the November sun so warm we sit outside as if we are on the Riviera. There are ancient jokes and worn teases and fond laughter; there are the invisible stitches of shared history and the pulling threads of mutual memory. Everything is as glorious as human wit and meteorological kindness can devise.

Later, I miss my dog so much it is as if someone has smacked me upside the head.

Oh, I say to myself. I see that is what happens now. I can comport myself perfectly well in public. I can smile and laugh out loud. I can hear the name spoken; I can nod when people say they are sorry. ‘Oh I remember that dog coming to stay,’ someone said today. ‘I loved her’.

All that can happen and I’m perfectly fine. Then, in a quiet room, with no trigger at all, the desolate missing hits and there’s nothing for it but to put my head down and barrel through it to the other side.

Then it’s fine again, and there is the evening ahead, and I shall smile and smile, and mean every inch of it. I shan’t be painting on a good face; the face shall be honestly good.

This is my theory. If you allow the grief to exist, then the other stuff is not drained of colour. There may be vivid shades of light; and then there is the moment of absolute dark. It’s when there is the fighting of sorrow that everything switches to grey, because holding on takes so much effort that there is no energy left for pleasure of any kind.

It’s a work in progress, that theory, and I’m not sure I’ve written it right. I think what I really mean is that it’s important to cry sometimes, or everything else goes to hell.

The five-year-old, my smallest cousin, arrives in my room.

‘Do you want to see a picture of the Pigeon?’ I say, showing her the good one below.

She nods and looks.

‘Do you remember that smiling face?’ I ask.

‘Yes,’ she says. ‘Do you have a picture of her dead?’

‘No,’ I say. ‘There is no picture of her dead. I just carry her in my head.’

She thinks for a bit.

‘Do you want her back?’ she says.

My voice wavers a bit.

‘Yes,’ I say. ‘I do.’

 

Today’s pictures:

18 Nov 1

18 Nov 2

18 Nov 3

18 Nov 4

18 Nov 6

18 Nov 7

18 Nov 9

18 Nov 10

18 Nov 10-001

The furry equines, up in the Scottish sun:

18 Nov 11

18 Nov 12

And the lovely old Pigeon, from the archive:

18 Nov 15

Oh, I do want her back. I do, I do, I do, I do.

But, as I said to the Smallest Cousin, in my most reasonable, grown-up voice: Sometimes in life we can’t have every single thing we want.

9 comments:

  1. In London until Monday late afternoon, for a reunion of female friends...(first time in years!)
    Inside, catching up; despite sunny mornings, staying put, with drinks on sofas taking turns...

    Cousin's comment makes me think of the Rolling Stones: "You can't always get what you want...but if you try some time, you might just find, you get what you need...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grief is fine- you have to let it flow, but not take over. Your dog was part of your life .

    Love the furry equines-you can just imagine the feel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good theory, well made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased you are amongst such loveliness. That you have family and laughter along with your sadness has symmetry. I think your theory makes perfect sense.
    And I'm sure your five year old cousin will have some wise words for you. :)
    Enjoy your stay and take best care xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what is it about five year olds?! They ask the most searing questions. So simple, so much about the give and take of life. I think we'd all like Pigeon back. But I am heartened that you sound alright, vulnerable and thin-skinned, but alright. Hold firm. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam Gopnik, in an entirely different context from personal loss and grief, said something I find very helpful and comforting in many situations. He said, you must love things as long as you can. And you did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Tania, All dogs are special, but some are more special than others. The Pigeon was one of the latter. We give them our hearts, and then they break them, it's the awful price we have to pay for loving them so dearly. Keep posting the pictures, it does help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it amazing to be an integral part of forming how another human being learns about life and death? I don't have children, either, but I'm always aware of conversations with other people's kids and the way the things I say affect their experience of the world. I remember, when I was a child, sometimes I listened harder to what non-parental adults said, because they didn't have an agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stop it Tania, I am far to much in touch with my emotions when I read your words.

    grief is catching.

    and nobody and nothing has a better ass than a lab.

    at least in my humble opinion.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin