Saturday 10 September 2011

Process

Posted by Tania Kindersley.

Sometimes I write five or six blogs all in one day. These exist inside my head, and are quite, quite coruscatingly brilliant. I cannot tell you how amused and dazzled you would be.

Then I sit down to write.

Nothing.

Or, actually no, not quite nothing. A sensation worse than nothing. Lots of useless, half-somethings. And so, the internal dialogue starts.

What was it, that thing when you were brushing your teeth? The one that was so whip-smart it almost hurt?

No memory of it at all.

And the one on the walk, that you knew the Dear Readers would love?

It had something, tangentially, to do with Christy Moore, Lisdoonvarna, Van Morrison, happiness, and never meeting your heroes. Can’t link all those things together now, though.

Then there is more inner chat. Oh, for God’s sake, you can’t tell them that. That’s too boring, you said that only last week, not that again, no no no. Inappropriate, bit self-righteous, too long, too short, too parochial, too grandiose.

Then I consider just putting up some pictures.

But the point is that I am all about words. Words are my thing. If I can’t give you words, then I’m not up to much.

So, sometimes, like today, I end up giving you a process story. Process story is the pejorative term that political commentators give to reports and articles which are a little geeky and specific and to do with the machinations of the corridors of power. It’s what the Americans, in an expression I love, call ‘inside baseball’.

It’s when the story is not about the policy, or the real people it might affect, but the horse-trading and the raw politics and the considerations of how the public will perceive the thing, rather than the thing itself. Again, the Americans have the best phrase for that last one: how will it play in Peoria? (Although that is a very old idiom, and I’m not sure is even used any more.) We have no equivalent. How will it play in Milton Keynes does not quite have the same euphony.

I love process stories. I like them in politics, I like them in life, I like them in writing. I am much more fascinated by a writer telling me her own private displacement activities, than by a serious discussion of lofty influences, of metre and syntax, of technique and literary devices.

I like the more banal human process: Flaubert keeping a bowl of rotting apples on his desk, Don DeLillo starting each new paragraph on a blank page, so he has lots of white space in which to see his sentences, Nabokov scribbling in pencil on index cards.

There is a rumour I read somewhere that Eliot used to work in a secret office in the Charing Cross Road, and called himself Captain Eliot, so that anyone knocking at the door had to ask for The Captain. I can’t quite believe that’s true, but then TS was strange enough for anything. And quite frankly, if you write Prufrock, you can call yourself the Grand Vizier of the Cinque Ports for all I care.

The process here sometimes is easy. There is one headline story, either in the privacy of my head, or out in the world, and so there is no question of what must be addressed. Those are good imperative days.

Sometimes a mood is on me so strongly that I can only obey it, and that is why you may get whimsy, or a blast of sadness, or a determined celebration of the small things. And then there are the muddly, confused days, when I’m exhausted from work or battered about about by a storm of petty emotion or not feeling physically marvellous or suffering from insomnia or just a bit listless and cross.

Come on, say the voices, on those days; come along, sharpen up. Got to give them something good. It’s like a mad blogging equivalent of England Expects. And then I scrabble about in my mind, searching for something, anything, displeased and rueful at the lack of fascination.

It’s like that thing when you’ve forgotten to do the shopping, and you end up burrowing about in the back of your storecupboard and thinking: what the hell can I make with half a bag of couscous, which is well beyond its sell-by date, some smoked mackerel fillets, and a can of hearts of palm? (Answer: nothing good.) And then I wonder about those marvellous, resourceful women who can whip up a feast from only some dried mushrooms and a tin of anchovies.

And then, at the end of it all, I have no idea how to stop. If it’s a coherent argument day, then there is always the ringing, declarative final sentence. The teacher I loved the most, Mr Woodhouse, always taught me to round off my essays with a strong sentence, that brought the argument back to the beginning, and tied it up with a nice, strong, rhetorical bow. Because of this, I used to think of constructing essays like wrapping up a parcel in brown paper and securing it with string. I still slightly wish people did send parcels with string. I miss string.

No neatness here today. No good, firm full stop. A bit of a sigh, and a frown, and a thought that I shall just have to stop my fingers typing and go and make some chicken soup for my supper.

 

At least, however, I did go out into the rather gloomy Scottish evening and take some new pictures for you:

10 Sept 1

10 Sept 2

10 Sept 2-1

10 Sept 4.ORF

10 Sept 5

10 Sept 6

10 Sept 7

10 Sept 8

10 Sept 9

10 Sept 10

10 Sept 11

10 Sept 13

10 Sept 14

All which is a salutary reminder that even though I am a bit storm-tossed at the moment, I have all these wonderful things still growing in my little garden, as the autumn comes on. AND THAT IS NOT NOTHING. (So sorry, no idea where those caps suddenly came from.)

The Brother dropped in on his way back from cooking lunch for our mother, and threw the ball for The Pigeon, which made her look like this:

10 Sept 16

Then she grew demure, and put her Grace Kelly face on:

10 Sept 17

10 Sept 18

Then I got rather over-excited about the photography, and started looking for interesting angles, and got down on my stomach in the earth (jeans are now covered in mud), and at one point I looked up from my prone position to see her regarding me with a curious expression, as if to say ‘What are you doing down there?’:

10 Sept 19

And then I took a slightly blurred and misty photograph of the hill:

10 Sept 20

And that was that.

8 comments:

  1. My Finnish teacher (in Finland) used to say the same thing about strong endings which tie to the start, and I am obsessed with trying to do it with every blog post. So you're not alone.

    Still, I'd read your blog even if all you wrote was a shopping list.

    Helena xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs read so easily that they seem as if they just flow from your - well, not pen - but keyboard. Like all good art, people can't see the pondering and alterations behind them.

    I love the photo of the Pigeon wondering why you're lying on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The writing is always enjoyable. But really, what you have done by sharing the Pigeon is generous and yet also causes worry---it will be absolutely devastating if she is not the first dog to live forever. No reader could avoid falling in love with her, you really are blessed to have found one another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But doesn't an idea come at the most inopportune moments - I find that when I'm writing. I will myself to remember it - usually at 3:30am in the morning. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Tania. You wrote how you miss string. You may be interested in The Package Project. Take a look at http://lovecupcakecouture.blogspot.com/2011/09/package-project-2011.html
    Nadia here in Durban is planning to make her Package Project international this year (I was so sad when it ended last year before I could join in).
    I'm so glad to know that you lie down to take your photos. Saw that with the dandelion pics. My husband is a keen nature photographer and I have a few sneaky shots of my own showing him on knees and elbows trying to get as close as possible to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely, lovely comments. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This American (and a number of her friends as well) still asks "But how will it play in Peoria?" Call it an old habit from an old college professor.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin