Thursday 4 November 2010

And one more thing

Posted by Tania Kindersley.

This one is more to make you think, although there might be a wry smile in there too.

It is long, but it is really worth reading all the way to the end.

As you may have noticed, I referred in passing to the Stephen Fry flap a couple of days ago. I said that he was quite possibly misquoted. It turns out that not only was he misquoted, but his remarks were taken out of all context. Thus an entire media storm blew up, with some columnists writing unbelievably vicious and self-righteous things, about something which did not happen.

This one, by Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, was among the worst. The lovely headline: Your problem, Stephen Fry, is that you just don't understand women, or like them very much. It contained a very odd level of vitriol over a statement which, even if it had been true, was quite low on the outrage meter. I tweeted at the time that, even as a devoted feminist, I could not work myself up into a lather over it.

I can't quite figure out why Stephen Fry makes certain people so cross. I think he is funny and clever and interesting and adds vastly to the gaiety of nations. I am glad he made the time to set the record straight. I wonder how soon the Daily Mail and Ms Alibhai-Brown will issue their apology?

And since this is a bonus post, here is a bonus picture, of two people waiting patiently for everyone to eat their cross words:

4th Nov 16-3

3 comments:

  1. I have to say I found Fry's post on the subject a bit toe-curling, but there you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr London Street - it is definitely an each to each thing. My toes remained uncurled. You say potato I say potahto. Although of course everyone knows no one in the entire world says potahto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Stephen Fry,he can be a bit of a silly sausage as they might say in Blackadder sometimes- but honestly I think people have taken this far too seriously.

    Unless he's touched something of a raw nerve I can't see what the fuss is about- any woman knows whether she does or doesn't enjoy bedroom things or whether she lies back and thinks of England and any man who has been with any women who do enjoy also knows that, well they've enjoyed. So there we go.

    Stephen Fry is perhaps not the person most well suited to commenting on these goings on seeing as he doesn't seem to be involved in that manner with the lady kind, but I comment on things I don't know much about all the time and don't have millions of people tweeting at me telling me I'm silly- thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin