Friday 10 September 2010

In which I may have been hasty

Posted by Tania Kindersley.

Have been watching some more news on the Pastor Jones controversy, and realise that my tone in today's post may have sounded too facetious. Much as I want to laugh and mock when confronted by idiots, I do understand that even idiots can engender tragic consequences. There is a distinct possibility that he may still go ahead with his asinine burning, and there may then be riots, and people may die. There are already reports of a fatal shooting possibly connected with his plans. So, when I use the word silly, I do not mean to give the impression that I am underestimating what may come of all this.

I do think though that there is an intrinsic absurdity in extremists of all stripes. They are like fools shouting into the wind. But their folly can sometimes be fatal.

If you want to cheer yourself up by seeing what grown-ups of good will can achieve, have a look at this rather hopeful interview:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/39094218#39069808

1 comment:

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin