Saturday 19 June 2010

Saturday

Posted by Tania Kindersley.

England last night were crashingly, shockingly, bruisingly awful. The newspapers are all over it, so I won't bore you here.

The only question I did have, as an irregular observer of football, is: why? It really bothered me, the whole thing seemed so inexplicable. There was a bunch of highly paid, individually talented, internationally rated men, bumbling about the park like amateurs after a night on the town. The experts had no clue. It was nerves, it was pressure, it was the expectations of the media, it was the coach, it was the four-four-two. Rooney was grumpy, but no one really knew why, since he has everything any twenty-four-year old could ever want. The manager said, vaguely, he felt the spirit was missing, which did not sound much like a technical term to me.

Then I suddenly got it. There is no explanation. Sometimes talented people find their talent fails. Great novelists write rotten books. Brilliant tennis players crash out in the first round. Lauded designers produce hideous dresses. Venerable banks go bankrupt overnight. Gifted politicians pursue disastrous policies. Comics lose their timing. Oscar-winning actors start chomping the furniture. Great horses get beat.

I am oddly relieved by this revelation. There need be no forensic post-mortem. It's just life, baby.

In the meantime, there are the trees:

P6182765

And the flowers:

P6182731

P6182708

P6182714

(Those are my sister's new plants, of which I am mildly envious.)

And of course there are these two, who never fail:

P6192874

P6192853

P6192882

Have a lovely weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, those gorgeous dogs! Whose companionship I covet. As for sports, I'm unfazed by all save ice hockey and then that only when my grandson plays (he is killer in his defense of the goalie, everyone says so).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have gorgeous dogs! I love looking at the photos that you post on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what? You are correct. In the end it's about our dogs. I'm alone this weekend with 5 dogs...and I'm quite happy talking to them, taking them walking, making their food. I am content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tania. Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog. I really appreciate it, and am so glad you found my blog as now I am here enjoying yours. :)

    I love that summing up - 'it's just life, baby' - perfect. And your dogs are just stunning - their lovely faces! Aw, give them a head rub from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank god for the trees and the flowers and the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...still gives hope to the rest us (at the end of the day Heheh!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin