Wednesday 17 June 2009

Return

All the way back up the long, long prairies of concrete that are the M6 and the M74 I was thinking of the perfect First Blog Back. It would be philosophical, mildly comical, thought-provoking (of course) - a glorious, out-from-behind-the-red-velvet-curtain flourish of a return. I seem to remember it was going to involve musings on grief, friendship, love and the very nature of happiness. There was going to be a slightly unexpected picture of the dogs looking puzzled in the car park of the Westfield, just to keep you all on your toes.

But the thing is that after driving all day yesterday, on about four hours' sleep, hopped up on five double espressos, half a pack of pro-plus and a couple of Solpadeine, today I am so tired that I do not know what my name is. My brain has fallen into a primal fugue state, and all I can do is gaze out of the window like a fool and think that even though the sky is the colour of dirty washing up water, it is still my heavenly Scottish sky and I could not be more glad to see it. Everything is very green and still here, my garden is bosky and overgrown, the lawn all shaggy like one of those Hollywood actors who grows questionable facial hair 'for a part'. I have missed the lilac, but my peonies are blooming like gangbusters, in the deepest most improbable scarlet you ever saw. All I can do is contemplate these small, welcoming things, and sit very, very still until I can think serious thoughts again. Then you will get a proper, worth every moment of your time sort of post. Until then, I just wanted to say hello, and that I missed all my wonderful readers, and that I am home safely, and normal service will be resumed very shortly.

11 comments:

  1. Was getting slightly worried there. Spent yesterday morning composing in my head an emergency-type blog on What To Do When A Blogger Goes Missing. Then checked this morning - and joy, you are back. Hoorah! and I am off to Liberty's for Champagne afternoon tea, so all is once again very right in the world. Good to see you back, T.

    And what a lot has been happening...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo - how lovely you are. Can't tell you how deeply flattering it is to be missed. Shall think of you having champagne at Liberty's. How chic and sophisticated. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you back. Take it easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're back. Have missed you on twitter and on the blog and have been hoping that things have not been too trying for you whilst you've been away.
    Peonies are so beautiful - must have been lovely to come back to them 'blooming like gangbusters' xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely way to say 'hello' - worth every moment it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to see you back. Like Jo I was beginning to worry that you'd chosen to opt out of the whole blog/Twitter thing. And you can't fool us, a person who can write "my brain is in a primal fugue state" does not have a brain in a primal fugue state...
    I commented on your beautiful post on bad moods on my own blog while you were away (http://labeet.dk/?p=475).

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the risk of sounding like a copycat, I am also supremely glad to have you back. The blogsphere has simply not been the same without you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lawn sounds like my husband's face.

    We've missed you enormously and I'm thrilled your back and hopefully getting some well-deserved sleep.

    This is my favorite:
    "...all I can do is gaze out of the window like a fool and think that even though the sky is the colour of dirty washing up water, it is still my heavenly Scottish sky..."

    Love,

    -- Miss W x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meant to say, to all - thank you, thank you for such a wonderful welcome back. Vv touched.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling girl, do you think, please, that we could have a photograph of the peonies? Muv's were just coming into bloom as I left home in her splendid herbaceous borders and, oh bugger, it's making me cry with homesickness as I type. Right. Need a hankie LLGxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back, we've all missed you! And what a wonderful way to say hellow.. to talk about your exhaustion whilst still managing to be more eloquent and brilliant than I could ever hope to be!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin